Tuesday, November 29

The Best Pianist You've Never Heard Of

The best pianist you've never heard of just may be Herbie Nichols.
play it, Herbie
(If you haven't heard of the great Lennie Tristano I might place him first, making Herbie the second best pianist you've never heard of...) Friends, surely you'll remember those jazz cliches I have spoken about several times and Herbie fits the 'never received the acclaim he deserved during his lifetime' (he also died too young, so fits two cliches).

Let's make sure he gets plenty of posthumous attention shall we?

As I was driving west on Water Street this afternoon I was happily listening to the wonderful 'Rif Primitif' which displays his divine sense of rhythm. Truly a masterful trio. How did the jazz public of the 1950s not realize the genius that was recording at Blue Note? Was it just that he was one of many and got lost in the shuffle? 

Blakey brings the thunder
It took me a long time to come around to appreciating the piano trio in general.

Perhaps I had never heard the best ones and associated it with lounge music and always found myself missing the fire of a horn-player. I liked piano players like Monk and Brubeck but never focused on them in the trio format. Bill Evans changed it for me, and then I discovered that the piano trio offers the jazz lover a wide variety of soundscapes. Bill Evans offers a gentle mood with the bass sharing centre stage (especially in his recordings with Scott LeFaro), the exquisitely talented Ahmad Jamal is a joy to listen to (are you getting tired of me talking about the masterful drumming of Vernel Fournier?) and his exploitation of the dynamic range is astonishing, and then there is Herbie Nichols who is completely different. There is a logic to his playing; effortless and beautiful runs that I know you will appreciate. He seemed to have an affinity with drummers the same way that Bill Evans had with bassists. It doesn't hurt that Art Blakey, one of the two or three greatest jazz drummers all time (and I know some of you are at the moment shocked that I wouldn't immediately place him at #1 but you know that there are so many incredible jazz musicians and how accurately can one rank them?) played with him a freat deal.

Do yourself a favour and have a listen.

3 comments:

  1. I like the sample. Interesting sound. A bit light on the left hand, but I like the runs and trills with the right. Good stuff. I, too, came late to the piano trio, but now I am great admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What trios have you been listening to, Gary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a fan of Bill Evans. I also enjoy spending time with Keith Jarret, although he doesn't stick to the trio structure (I also like some of his solo work). Lately, I've been listening to Brad Mehldau. I like his approach to music and his trio is terrific. I've also been listening to EST (Esborne Svensson Trio)a lot. They have great energy and fine musicianship (however,admittedly, they can be somewhat hit and miss). Still, highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete